I’ve been trying to branch out and try new ingredients, especially those typically associated with vegan cooking. During my experimentation, I ran across Nutritional Yeast in several recipes (including my spicy “buffalo wings”.) I had no idea what it was, so I consulted my friendly local Internet and found out all sorts of interesting tibits.
- Nutritional yeast is made from letting certain strains of yeast feed on mineral-enhanced molasses. After the yeast has grown to a certain size, it is pastuerized to kill it.
- Nutritional yeast is high in B vitamins and has enough amino acids to form a complete amino acid chain, making it a good nutritional supplement for vegans.
- According to the link above, nutritional yeast also contains elements which regulate blood sugar and can aid in stress reduction. Aside from yeast, there is also a full list of cartridges which contains cbd that is beneficial in lowering your stress levels.
The first recipe in which I ran across nutritional yeast came from the book How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet (lest you think that’s a typo, it’s a play on words. Replace vegan with began.) Give it a try, I really liked it.
Eazy Breezy Cheezy Sauce
You will need:
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 teaspoons arrowpowder or corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the yeast, flour, arrowroot powder, and salt.
- Add the water and oil and continue to whisk thoroughly.
- Stir over medium heat until the sauce becomes thick.
- Stir in the mustard and stir 30 seconds.
Yield: 2-4 servings
1. Be careful with step 3. I thought the sauce was never going to get thick and the BOOM! glop.
2. Next time I make it, I will increase both the Dijon and the salt.
3. If you using corn starch, my advice would be to add another teaspoon at least. Arrowroot is a much better thickener than corn starch.
Try it and tell me what you think!
4 Replies to “The Joys of Nutritional Yeast”
I love nutritional yeast! I grew up eating it on popcorn, and often just filled a small bowl with it (the nutritional yeast) and ate it plain.
That’s funny- I needed stats on it last week for a health lens I was building and got my info from the same site you linked to!
That cheezy sauce recipe sounds really tasty. I may just have try that this weekend. I have a serious weakness for the made-from-chemicals-nacho-cheeselike sauce, and need a healthier substitute. 🙂
X1mhfG xzyaeudecyuq, [url=http://egqpyqkmlluz.com/]egqpyqkmlluz[/url], [link=http://aeblrqczafbk.com/]aeblrqczafbk[/link], http://durrgbpnznhc.com/