Recipe: GazpachoAuthor: Chris Perrin
Gazpacho is tomato soup, served cold that hails from the Andalusia region of Spain. The thought of eating ice cold tomato soup at first may appear strange, especially for those from the United States that grew up with grilled cheese sandwiches and hot tomato soup as the cure for the winter chills. However, this dish is both traditional, and delicious.
The classic version of the dish features tomatoes, bell peppers, olive oil, garlic, salt and vinegar. This version adds ginger and more vegetables, making it perfect for summer when the days are hot and the produce are in season.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flake
- 4 medium sized Carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 medium Red Onion, chopped
- 1 medium White Onion, chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 28 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 14 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons (about 2 inches pregrated) of grated Ginger
- 1 tablespoon of Red Wine Vinegar
Preheat a soup pot or deep-sided skillet over medium heat then add the olive oil. After the oil has been heated, add the red pepper flake. Let them fry for 15 seconds.
Add the carrots, celery, and a pinch of salt. SautÃ© for 5 minutes then add the two types of onions, the red pepper, the black pepper, and another pinch of salt. Cook until the onions are translucent. When finished, remove the vegetables from the skillet, and put half of them into a food processor. Pulse the vegetables 10 times to give break them down and add them back to the skillet.
Pour in the tomato sauce and the ginger into the skillet with the vegetables and bring the sauce to boil. Serve in individual bowls topped with the leftover vegetables.
Thanks to alex.lines for the picture.
- Pumpkin Baingan BhartaBaingan Bharta is my third favorite Indian dish (after the...
- #MeatlessMonday Spicy Vegetable Pilaf[caption id="attachment_1078" align="alignright" width="160" caption="Magalie L'Abbe's Poblano Peppers"][/caption] From hunger...
- Recipe: Orange Ginger ChickenThis is another recipe I created in my quest for...
One Response to “Gazpacho”
Leave a Reply