Okay, there’s a big part of me that feels a certain culinary snobbery should prevent me from being as happy about this as I am, but I can’t help it. I made ketchup.
My wife was making vegan meatloaf (which was really quite excellent, especially when topped with my ketchup…) when she realized that we were out of the red stuff. That suited me just fine as store bought ketchup is laden with lots of sugars and preservatives and stuff I don’t really need. The only real use for ketchup is on burgers and meatloaf and I don’t eat either very often.
So out comes the following ingredients:
- 1 12.5 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegan sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of pepper (I would NOT use freshly ground here)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic poweder
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
And I took the following steps:
- Blend ingredients
- Let the mixture sit for ten minutes. This lets the flavors combine and remove some of the sting of the vinegar.
- Smear on meatloaf or fries or burgers or hot dogs or whatever.
I swear this is better and healthier than anything you’ll get in the store.